Friday, 4 June 2010

OUGD303 Module Evaluation

At the start of the module, I made it clear in my statement of intent that I wanted an overarching theme in my work to be an exploration into the use of print and process within my design. I feel that across the projects I have undertaken have allowed me to do these experiments and I am very pleased with the work that I have done. Certain briefs such as the Print Branding task and my series of Editioned Prints were projects that were completely centred around print and process and much of the focus of these projects was put onto testing processes and materials to come to the best results. Other briefs such as the A Campaign, Pseudoscience or the Science Zines dealt with print and process as a focus in the finishing stages of the projects but also dealt with more conceptual themes that demanded a higher level of research and concept development in the earlier stages of the projects. I think that the briefs that were focused purely on print and process have come to some really effective and impressive outcomes but I also think that the briefs that have needed a more conceptual and idea based approach have also been really interesting and useful as they have forced me to not just think about print and finish but to brainstorm how these elements can be applied effectively to not only look good but to communicate an idea. I would say that this has been the most beneficial area of my study, the development of my design process to effectively apply a profound knowledge of print and process and use the knowledge in the communication of an idea. I have learned that print is just as much a tool for aesthetics as it can be as a tool of communication.

I would say that my approach to completing projects has been much more natural than in previous modules but I think that this has worked effectively. I have spent less time brainstorming at an early stage about possible outcomes and instead just brainstormed ideas and concept to define my audience and what criteria the brief needs to meet. I then move very quickly from this stage onto testing materials and processes, I have changed my practice to produces tests and mock-ups at an early stage as I think this the most effective way to move forward and progress an idea and an outcome. Whereas in the past I have sat and drawn what an idea could end up like, in this module I have tried to just make it, then take a step back, analyse the results and move forward from there. I have found this to make for a very efficient practice, which has allowed me to take on quite a large amount of projects. If I had to chose an area which I would have liked to improve I would say that I could have documented some of the earlier stages of the briefs in a more thorough way to evidence the origins of my ideas as I think that sometimes I work at a speed where these early and important decisions are left un-evidenced. I have been working on a short scale day-by-day timetable and I also think that if could have spent more time working on a more thorough and over-arching timetable.

Overall I think that I have followed my statement of intend and in some areas even gone further into working in depth with typography and layout. I feel that I have worked in an efficient and professional way as much as possible and I am thoroughly pleased with the quantity and quality of the work I have produced.

No comments:

Post a Comment